- a midsummer night's dream,
- alice in wonderland (tim burton),
- avatar: the last airbender,
- black lagoon,
- black swan,
- death note,
- doctor who,
- enchanted forest chronicles,
- final fantasy vii,
- final fantasy xiii,
- howl's moving castle,
- kingdom hearts,
- never let me go,
- pirates of the caribbean,
- queen's thief,
- sherlock (bbc),
- sherlock holmes (2009),
- the hunger games,
- the traitor game,
- x-men: first class
In the interim, I have...
- written rather a lot of fanfic
- started swearing a lot more
- gone on antidepressants, thank Christ
- decided where I'm going to college this fall (Oberlin; I leave a week from Monday)
- stopped pretending to the Internet that I'm already through college
- watched (most of) Teen Wolf (yes, I know)
- watched (most of) Motorcity (oh please, just shush)
- gotten frighteningly into Supernatural (believe me, I know)
- as of just last night, watched the first season of Slings & Arrows and been struck entirely speechless
- started making graphics
- acquired some rather excellent shoes
- changed my entire relationship with tags several times, which fact will require some thinking over here.
Title: The Gentle Fall
Ratings/Warnings: PG, swearing
Written for: 1st_eggokage's prompt "You make me want to listen to music again."
Author's Note: Title from Vienna Teng's "Gravity."
( It's not like it's any kind of big deal, stopping by the little dug-out desert home once in a while. )
Title: Only the Good
Characters/Pairings: Vriska, Bec Noir, Terezi, [Karkat]
Ratings/Warnings: PG-13, violence, canonical character death
Written For: womenlovefest
A/N: Doomed timelines always need exploring, now don't they?
( 'COWARD!' you scream as a flicker of green dances away. 'COWARD, COWARD, COWAAAAAAAARD!' )
Title: taking turns holding this world
Characters/Pairings: Feferi, the Condesce [Troll Kids]
Ratings/Warnings: R, strong violence, fantastic racism
Written for: womenlovefest
Author's Note: And thus commences a week of continuous postings, hopefully - two fics per day! They will mostly be a) in the same post, and b) shorter than this. Title from "Trust Me" by The Fray.
( The Condesce arches an eyebrow like she doesn’t know she’s torn to rags, like she doesn’t know that she rules nothing anymore, and the worst part is that you’re not sure either of those things matters. )
Title: meet me where lady mercy goes when she's gone from home
Characters/Pairings: Bro/Mr. Egbert/Mrs. Lalonde
Ratings/Warnings: R, graphic descriptions of injury, sexualization thereof, pre-threesome
A/N: Please, please, please let the coding work this time...
( 'Well, don’t you look a dreadful mess,' she observes, gliding along the cracked stinking concrete; he sheathes his sword with a showy little flick to his wrist that he never let the kid pick up. )
Characters/Pairings: Dave/Jade, Rose, Kanaya, Karkat, Equius, Eridan [background Rose/Kanaya, Aradia/Equius]
Rating/Warnings: PG-13, discussions of sex, pesterlog-fic
Written for: digi_dragon's request, for a really ill-advised meme I did on Tumblr
A/N: For the record, this takes place several years after the events of canon. Also, given how frankly torturous LJ was the last time I tried to post anything, screw it, I'm not coloring the text. Unapologetic fluff, as a break from a number of depressing WIPs that I swear will see the light of day at some point.
( Read more... )
Title: When All Else In You Turns and Runs
Ratings/Warnings: PG, swearing, implied PTSD
Written for: N/A
A/N: Title taken from Vienna Teng's "Love Turns 40."
( You open your eyes, find Dave motionless and lips half-parted, Terezi leaned in with her head tilted slightly just the way she does when she doesn’t want to miss a single detail, and you lean in and kiss the Knight of Time as gently as you know how, with the Seer of Mind’s pulse thrumming against your palm. )
- ancient lying underneath [the weak as iron remix] - BBC's Sherlock. It's not tagged with any major pairings, but it's about the fan favorites, for a pretty popular fandom, and it's a fest fic that got recced around a bit, so I guess that explains it. (I'm also kind of proud of it, though I'm not sure it's justified.)
- The View from Up Here - X-Men: First Class. Tagged with the fandom's favorite pairing, written and posted early in the fic explosion, and got recced on Tumblr by gyzym because it arose out of a conversation with her; she is the BNF in this fandom as far as I can tell. So that explains it. It's also ridiculous self-indulgent id-fic written on an evening when I was slightly loopy, and doesn't really deserve the attention.
- Five Sharp Points [The Healing Remix] - Firefly. Another fest fic, for the same fest, and I think it might have gotten recced once too? Interestingly, this has less than half the hits of the first two; I'm not sure what's up with that. It's decent in my opinion, but not super.
- Never Make Me Wonder - Homestuck. I am really, really surprised to see this on the list, to be honest; no fests, no BNFs, and it's one of my most recent fics, so it's had less time to attract hits. Evidently it's pretty good? It's centered on a fairly divisive character, but I think she has a lot of stans as well as the opposite.
- You've Seen How I Live - Inception. Ahh, both a fest fic (for an LJ-based fest, however, unlike Remix_Redux) and the fandom's darlings, but it's genderswap, and I guess there's less of an audience for femmeslash epics. Still, it's pretty darn high on the list. This fic could probably be a lot better, but I am still quite happy with it overall, not least because it was sort of a milestone for me.
- What Might Be Left to Say In Time Come After Death - Homestuck. I guess this fandom really does live on the AO3 to an extent. To be honest, I really like this one; it's definitely gratifying that it's gotten some attention. Interestingly, I think it's got a higher kudos count than anything but Never Make Me Wonder; evidently I write better Homestuck fic than anything else. (How much that's saying is up to the reader.)
- War Without End - X-Men: First Class. Also posted during the fandom's height (which may still be going on? I don't know, I found I didn't have enough enthusiasm for the source to grapple with its issues, and then got drawn into Homestuck). It's lady-centric and short; also, not my best.
- With Thanks to Apollo - Inception. This one is ALL LADIES, and has also been remixed twice, which probably got it quite a bit of attention. It's not a masterpiece, but I think I pretty much achieved what I was trying to achieve, and it was an interesting experiment in an outsider POV.
- Neurons of Murderous Dancers - Inception & Black Swan. I am really, really pretty damn proud of this fic, and Black Swan is a pretty small fandom, which drew it some positive atteention, I think, and I guess the premise interests people? It was originally posted over here, and the amount of attention on this end redefines 'flattering.'
- Drift - Narnia (bookverse). I... have no idea what this one is doing on the list. I thought it wasn't a very big fandom, and it's a really short fic. I guess the Susan Problem is a popular subject?
Ratings/Warnings: R, sex, d/s elements, and the characters are underaged. (Not, however, thirteen.)
Written for: teh_slush and 1st_eggokage
A/N: 1) For those who are not in this fandom and simply reading for the porn: Trolls count age in sweeps. One sweep is about equal to two years and two months; therefore "seven for a while now" = almost sixteen. 2) This leans upon certain theories about troll sex; you can find the relevant sections detailed after the fic, or just proceed and roll with events. 3) Yes, the title is from "Here Comes the Sun."
( This isn't exactly what either of them was expecting, but Equius certainly has no complaints, and won't as long as she keeps smiling. )
On the mechanics of biology:
( Read more... )
Of course you are!
Therefore, go forth and investigate!
(There is also a fucking awesome hat. It does not ship outside the United Kingdom, sadly, but it is a stellar hat. The jewelry ships more broadly, I should mention.)
The same person also has a number of books up for sale - they're a fandom writer, apiphile, so you can get a sense of the quality of her writing (hint: oh holy shit) before you buy, if you like. I've recced a couple of her fics around before. These are super reasonably priced, available as both downloads and books, and generally good things to buy.
I'm going to double-rec Tiny Fictions #3: Soldiers, Fathers and Failures, as I have already read it - quite a lot, in fact - and can say unequivocally that it is incredible.
(Do not read "Shots in the Dark" late at night, particularly if you are alone in the house. Do not read "Father" on a full stomach. Please, trust me on both these counts. You should definitely, however, read them.)
Make up a title for a story I didn't write, and I will respond with details of those non-written stories. You may, if you like, include details, such as pairings or fandom or whatnot.
Characters/Pairings: Rose Lalonde/Kanaya Maryam [Dave Strider, Jade Harley, John Egbert]
Ratings/Warnings: PG-13, general fucked-up-ness?
Written for: an attempt at song bingo for ficcinintherain. That did not pan out. (The song was "Baobabs," by Regina Spektor.)
A/N: Finally, my OTP. This is from a few days back, and isn't quite what I meant to accomplish, but it's something.
( They stand and watch, and wait for a new universe to bloom to being. )
Characters/Pairings: Vriska Serket, John Egbert
Ratings/Warnings: PG, minor instances of ableist language
Written for: ficcinintherain's August Challenge, for the prompt of Vriska and the song The Impression That I Get. (No, this isn't a songfic except in the very loosest sense of the term. Also, check out the fest!)
A/N: Set in the dreambubbles. Spoilers up through June 2011.
( It's a strange kind of luck that's led Vriska here. )
Characters/Pairings: Dave Strider, Rose Lalonde, Bro Strider, Mrs. Lalonde, Feferi Peixes
Ratings/Warnings: PG, deals with (canonical) character deaths
Written for: N/A
A/N:For future reference, this contains spoilers up to this update (update ends here.) It also functions as a sort of pre-emptive fixit, and its relationship to canon will probably become more complicated in the immediate future. Title comes from Allen Ginsberg's "Howl." Many thanks to lathyrism (of Tumblr) for beta'ing!
( Two people get the chance to correct variations on the same mistake. )
Characters/Pairings: Rose Lalonde, Dave Strider
Ratings/Warnings: PG-13, implied violence
Written for: N/A
A/N: An exploration of the crapsack timeline and how much Rose remembers. I'm going with the assumption that she might not be able to narrate all the events but does remember specific moments.
( Dave and Rose grew up together very fast indeed, and now suddenly he didn't. )
Fandom: Doctor Who (Series 5)
Characters/Pairings: Amy/Rory, 11, Tardis
Rating/Warnings: PG-13, sexin'. (That wasn't supposed to happen.)
Written for: N/A
A/N: Songs listed at the bottom. Many thanks to teh_slush for helping me minimize my mistakes with the musical details, and to a great many people for their encouragement. Somehow this drew in bits of backstory and episode codas for "The Vampires of Venice," "Amy's Choice," and the season finale.
( There's more than one way, or two, or three, to tell someone you love them. Five songs Rory sang to Amy, and why. )
------------------------------------The songs, in order:
( ... )
- I really have to stop pretending Tumblr isn't my fandom home. All the fic will remain over here, anything actually interesting will eventually end up over here, but that's really where I'm engaging the most, although LJ is still close to my heart as a site. However, if you are desperately interested in every random, pointless thought I need to share with the world, Tumblr is now the place to find it first. (This is, doubtless, hardly a loss to LJ - although as this post demonstrates, you are not safe.)
- I'm currently away from home! I have been for a little over a week, actually. It is miserably hot.
- I kneel humbly before ye and confess, for I have succumbed to the wiles of fictional teenagers and joined the ravening hordes... or, in other words, I've spent the past three weeks marathoning Homestuck, and am now caught up, or will be as soon as I finish today's update, which is open in the other window. I'm also a teeny tiny bit entirely obsessed.
- Shortly I will be seeing Deathly Hallows: Part Deux. Oddly enough, I haven't really been feeling that nostalgic for it; I guess I never really thought of the movies as part of the franchise in the same way I thought of the books. I may have been missing out.
- The actual purpose of this post - I'm currently writing a bit of origfic and beating my head endlessly against the wall in terms of plot, because I have two characters, I have vague hints of a world, I have a dynamic between said characters that I kind of love, but I'm not one hundred percent sure what they do for a living or how they fit into their world or what is actually going to happen in this story (that needs to be a) shortish and b) done by tomorrow.) So. ARGHHH. Also their dynamic is sort of stable, meaning that even if I get an action-plot there will still be nowhere emotional for the story to go. I have a couple of ideas for both, but the problem is that I can't start writing them because they feel like a total cop-out. It's frustrating.